mardi 24 septembre 2013

Eric And Duane Got The Blues Early

12 Août 2009
Caliopée 





I was 21 when I finally took the decision to drag myself to town in order to buy the object of my dreams: a guitar. It wasn't a tough decision and I had saved all the money that was necessary in order to make that day unforgettable. And it was indeed! I remember exactly how I felt when I was walking in direction of the music shop. I was a little nervous because it was almost the end of the day and I needed to get it before the shop would close. The sun was fading away but the orange light that was hitting the streets was absolutely beautiful and uplifting. When I got in, it was like an unknown paradise. The instruments on the wall were a beautiful and very appealing mystery, whispering to my ears to come closer in order to get to know them...

Anyway, when the owner of the shop started to play this guitar after he tried a couple of other guitars so I could choose my own (all a little cheaper I have to say), I knew. I knew it was this one that belonged to me and to my journey. Up until now, I cherish her. I even gave her a name: Caliopée (In the Greek mythology, Calliope means "beautiful voice" and was the Muse of Epic Poetry and Eloquence).  I call her Cali...

Since I was currently living in Paris and not in my beautiful hometown in the South of France, I decided it was not a good idea to bring it with me in the plane. Therefore, Cali stayed home, alone. In one of my numerous travels back and forth, I decided to take it with me as I was traveling by train, thinking that I could actually find the money and time to learn. Guess what? That never happened. I brought it back home. Up to this day, only a few people in my family who were actually able to play guitar allowed her to come to life. I would watch them with melancholy  But I made her a promise: one day, I would learn how to play and before I die her and I would rock together. 


My sweet Cali is now even further away from me but yesterday something wonderful happened. I started hurting my fingers on the strings again... Yes, it wasn't MY guitar but it's one step closer. I learned one chord, then another one and another one. And there it was, the introduction of the song I choose to learn ("Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer - I know!). It was like magic and it was so beautiful I couldn't help myself but cry. Oh yes, of course, I still sound weird and my brain takes seconds before eventually making the right transition for my fingers but hey, I learn fast and most importantly, I enjoy it. I enjoy learning and if it wasn't for the pain my fingertips are feeling right now I wouldn't be writing this, I would be strumming it.

Do something you love. This is why Eric And Duane Got The Blues Early...